‘You are what you eat” is the apt line to enforce the importance of a proper
and healthy diet for lustrous and healthy-looking hair for the wedding
season. Nutritional deficiency of any form results in dry, brittle hair and
eventually hair loss. The tip for beautiful and lustrous hair lies in eating
the right food, exercising, proper sleep, and reduced stress. Here’s a list of food items that can be incorporated into the diet for healthy and lustrous hair.
- Nuts and dried fruits: These are not only a convenient mode of
portable snack but are also a rich source of iron, sulphur, and biotin which promotes hair growth. Almonds and walnuts are rich in protein and vitamin E which strengthens the hair roots and prevents hair fall.
Excess of nuts should be avoided, portion size should be 2-4
tablespoon. Excess may cause gastrointestinal disturbance since these are high in fiber, further leading to weight gain and sugar crash.
- Avocados: Avocados are loaded with Vitamin B, C, E, and K, folate, and
potassium making them the best food for the hair. These are also rich in healthy fats (oleic acid) which provide natural conditioning and
One can incorporate Avocados into the diet as a spread on the
chicken/egg sandwich instead of mayonnaise can cut chunks of it n put it in vegetable salad as well use it as a spread on bread toast instead of butter.
One disadvantage to eating too much avocado (even though it
contains monosaturated fat which is good for cholesterol) is that you
might end up putting up with too much fat.
- Salmons: One of the reasons for dry scalp and dull-looking hair is
a deficiency of Omega 3. Salmons is loaded with a good amount of Omega 3 which helps to open the hair follicle further promoting hair growth as well as vitamin B12 and iron for preventing hair fall Although Salmons are low in mercury, fresh, frozen, and wild salmons should be preferred over the prepared ones since it has all the more reduced mercury in them. One can add a dash of olive oil to cook salmons to further enhance the fat health benefits.
- Eggs: Eggs are a rich source of vitamin A, B12, D, E, and K which helps in the repair of damaged hair by penetrating deep into the roots of the hair follicle. Vitamin E in eggs helps to keep the hair texture smoother and well-nourished. It is the storehouse of good minerals like sulphur, iron, zinc, and selenium which helps to fasten the hair growth and provide it with the nourishment Eggs can be the best breakfast option may it be in the form of omelets or simply hard-boiled, can club it with the sandwich, or simply can be consumed as egg salad.
One can make a hair mask of egg and yogurt which contains a good amount of sulphur. Apply the same for 30-40 mins and wash off with cold water. It acts as a natural conditioner and the result is shiny and beautiful hair.
- Tomatoes: Lastly one of the items which are abundantly rich in lycopene is tomatoes. Lycopene protects the hair from sun damage and helps in the repair of the damaged hair follicle. Excess tomato consumption should be avoided as it may cause irritable bowel syndrome and it is not recommended for people with kidney stones. It is a very simple food that can be incorporated with any of the other food items or simply consumed with the olive oil sprinkles with the salad.